The founder of the Tata group, Jamsetji Tata set up the Taj Mahal hotel in 1903, only one of his four dreams that saw fruition during his lifetime.
As the tale goes, his sisters chided him by asking, “Are you really going to build a bhatarkhana [eating house]?” But he persevered and the Taj Mahal hotel was completed by 1903, boasting of the finest luxuries at that time, and built in the typical cosmopolitan ethos of Bombay.
The airlines of the Tata group owe their inspiration to another Tata stalwart, JRD Tata who founded Tata Airlines in 1932. The airline was later christened Air India and was nationalised in 1956.
Today, the group's companies in the tourism and travel segments cater to individual and business customers across all facets.
- The Tata group onboarded Air India, Air India Express, and AI SATS
- IHCL launched Qmin, a repertoire of culinary offerings, including home delivery, and an app.
- Vistara has a fleet of 45 brand new aircraft and has added several international destinations
- Taj declared the World’s Strongest Hotel Brand by BrandFinance
- AirAsia India flies to 17 destinations and covers over 240 direct and connecting routes across India with 28 Airbus A320 aircraft